My First Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Father's Day Craft : Dad Rocks

With Father's Day fast approaching, the girls and I are getting ready to make something special for Daddy. Over the past few months I've come across so many amazing craft ideas for Daddy's special day.
I've always loved handmade gifts from my girls over any store bought gift.
The thoughtfulness and love that they put into their creation always brings a little tear to my eye. So I wanted to make sure whatever the girls made that it would be personalized. I remembered seeing a Dad Rocks Paperweight at
Crafts by Amanda and quickly became inspired.






Crafts by Amanda does have a tutorial but I had my own salt dough recipe and thought I'd put my own little spin on it.
You most likely have everything you need to make this craft in or around your home already.

What you'll need
2 cup flour
1 cup salt ( I used sea salt because it was all I had hopefully it works out for me..lol)
3/4 cup water
some pretty rocks or decorative stones
cookie sheet



The Peach and I went out to find and collect some rocks. She pointed them out to me and I of course had to pick them out of the dirt because as she informed me "Bugs poop on those Mommy!!" so it's up to you but we washed our rocks first to avoid any bug poopage on Daddy's gift.



Mix your salt and water so the salt can dissolve a little and then add your flour. If your dough is too sticky you can add a little more flour.



You can also use food colouring or glitter to spice it up a bit.
The Peach of course chose lots of pink glitter for hers.


We rolled our dough into a big ball then just smooshed it on the cookie sheet and shaped it. We decided we'd like to add the Peach's hand print so she just pressed her hand into the dough and we filled her print with stones. We then pressed our stones firmly into the dough to spell "Daddy Rocks".



We baked ours for just over 2 hours at 250 degrees

We did have a small amount of dough left which is ok because this dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.


Here is the finished product :)






This is a super fun and easy craft for anyone looking to surprise their Daddy with a homemade gift on his special day.

3 comments:

Jessa said...

LOVE this :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Susie Buetow said...

Thank you so much for stopping in at my blog and entering the Blog Bash 2011 Giveaways! Good Luck to you. I'm also following your adorable blog. This project ROCKS!

Have a super weekend.
xoxo SusieQTpies

The Spaghetti Westerner said...

This is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

I wanted to say thank you for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway. I hope to see you around again soon!

Post a Comment